There’s practically no part of the world in which people haven’t heard of Dalai Lama and his life philosophy. Today we bring you a piece of his instructions for a happier, peaceful life, some of his best quotes – enjoy!
1. With realization of one’s own potential and self-confidence in one’s ability, one can build a better world.
2. Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
3. When you think everything is someone else’s fault, you will suffer a lot. When you realize that everything springs only from yourself, you will learn both peace and joy.
4. If you don’t love yourself, you cannot love others. You will not be able to love others. If you have no compassion for yourself then you are not able of developing compassion for others.
5. Where ignorance is our master, there is no possibility of real peace.
6. If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito.
7. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each other exceeds your need for each other.
8. Every day, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.
9. Choose to be optimistic, it feels better.
10. If a problem is fixable, if a situation is such that you can do something about it, then there is no need to worry. If it’s not fixable, then there is no help in worrying. There is no benefit in worrying whatsoever.
11. This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.
12. Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.
13. People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness. Just because they’re not on your road doesn’t mean they’ve gotten lost.
14. Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great risk.
15. There is only one important point you must keep in your mind and let it be your guide. No matter what people call you, you are just who you are. Keep to this truth. You must ask yourself how is it you want to live your life. We live and we die, this is the truth that we can only face alone. So consider carefully, what prevents you from living the way you want to live your life?
16. All suffering is caused by ignorance. People inflict pain on others in the selfish pursuit of their own happiness or satisfaction.
17. Old friends pass away, new friends appear. It is just like the days. An old day passes, a new day arrives. The important thing is to make it meaningful: a meaningful friend – or a meaningful day.
18. When you realize you’ve made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct it.
19. Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
20. A good friend who points out mistakes and imperfections and rebukes evil is to be respected as if he reveals the secret of some hidden treasure.
21. Inner peace is the key: if you have inner peace, the external problems do not affect your deep sense of peace and tranquility…without this inner peace, no matter how comfortable your life is materially, you may still be worried, disturbed, or unhappy because of circumstances.
22. When we are able to recognize and forgive ignorant actions of the past, we gain strength to constructively solve the problems of the present.
23. Peace does not mean an absence of conflicts; differences will always be there. Peace means solving these differences through peaceful means; through dialogue, education, knowledge; and through humane ways.
24. I defeat my enemies when I make them my friends.
25. When you are discontent, you always want more, more, more. Your desire can never be satisfied. But when you practice contentment, you can say to yourself ‘Oh yes, I already have everything that I really need’.