Are you a prisoner of your past?
Past is good – it holds your memories, dear people, places you’ve been… It’s good to be able to visit once in a while – but it’s no place to live in. Holding on to good or bad memories, to grudges or people who made us laugh or did us wrong makes us unable to move forward. In order to live in th now, to experience our present life to the fullest and to open up to the future we have to learn to let go.
The quotes below will hopefully help you to let go of anything that’s been holding you back and to just live your life – pick the one that resonates with you the most (or a few of them) and come back to them every time you feel the need.
1. Letting go doesn’t mean that you don’t care about someone anymore. It’s just realizing that the only person you really have control over is yourself. ~ Deborah Reber
2. You will find that it is necessary to let things go; simply for the reason that they are heavy. So let them go, let go of them. I tie no weights to my ankles. ~ C. JoyBell C.
3. Incredible change happens in your life when you decide to take control of what you do have power over instead of craving control over what you don’t. ~ Steve Maraboli
4. Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go and then do it. ~ Ann Landers
5. I demolish my bridges behind me…then there is no choice but to move forward. ~ Fridtjof Nansen
6. Today expect something good to happen to you no matter what occurred yesterday. Realize the past no longer holds you captive. It can only continue to hurt you if you hold on to it. Let the past go. A simply abundant world awaits. ~ Sarah Ban Breathnach
7. When we think we have been hurt by someone in the past, we build up defenses to protect ourselves from being hurt in the future. So the fearful past causes a fearful future and the past and future become one. We cannot love when we feel fear…. When we release the fearful past and forgive everyone, we will experience total love and oneness with all. ~ Gerald G. Jampolsky
8. Don’t cling to your self-righteous suffering, let it go. . . . Nothing is too good to be true, let yourself be forgiven. To the degree you insist that you must suffer, you insist on the suffering of others as well. ~ Stephen Levine
9. Know that everything is in perfect order whether you understand it or not. ~ Guy Finley
10. You will never achieve what you are capable of if you’re too attached to things you’re supposed to let go of. ~ Marc & Angel
11. In the process of letting go you will lose many things from the past, but you will find yourself. ~ Deepak Chopra
12. Holding on is believing that there’s only a past; letting go is knowing that there’s a future. ~ Daphne Rose Kingma
13. People can be more forgiving than you can imagine. But you have to forgive yourself. Let go of what’s bitter and move on. ~ Bill Cosby
14. One problem with gazing too frequently into the past is that we may turn around to find the future has run out on us. ~ Michael Cibenko
15. We must be willing to let go of the life we’ve planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us. ~ Joseph Campbell
16. Everybody’s got a past. The past does not equal the future unless you live there. ~ Tony Robbins
17. It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all. ~ J. K. Rowling
18. The mental and physical space we create by letting go of things that belong in our past gives us the option to fill the space with something new. ~ Susan Fay West
19. Some people have to leave your life because their very presence prevents, perverts & distorts your purpose. Don’t be afraid to let go. ~ Renita Bryant
20. I use memories but I will not allow memories to use me. ~ Deepak Chopra
What’s your favorite? Let us know in the comments which one resonates with you the most!